An increasing number of people are turning to massage therapy to help them cope with the stress and pressures of everyday life. Once described as “rubbing”, massage treatment involves the application of a variety of compression techniques applied to one’s muscles and soft tissues, resulting in improved state of overall health and well-being.
For thousands of years, medical reports have sang the praises of the amazing healing effects of massage treatment and the benefits of rubbing and friction for health issues associated with proper circulation and joint pain. A variety of unique techniques used in massage have proven to be nourishing for many parts of the body, including the circulatory and nervous systems.sports massage
The list of mental and physical benefits of regular massage treatment is extensive; here are just a few:
* Relief from chronic pain;
* Mental relaxation resulting in improved concentration;
* Better skin tone;
* Physical relaxation resulting in sounder sleep;
* Lower heart rate and blood pressure;
* Reduction in stress and tension-related headaches.
With literally hundreds of different variations of massage therapy available, many therapists are using multiple techniques to treat the same client. The use of various forms of stroking, kneading, vibration, friction and pressure, along with the use of lotion and oil, has also been proven to boost one’s metabolism significantly.
There are few more effective ways to manage your stress level and relieve the symptoms of tension in your body and mind than with massage therapy. As with any other ongoing health management plan, you’ll get the most benefit by having massage therapy on a continuing basis. And by strengthening your overall immune system, massage treatment can aid your rehabilitation after surgery or an injury. It has also proven to be very effective in the treatment of such problems as depression, infertility, and the effects of smoking-cessation, to name a few.
More good news is that massage treatment appears to have few risks or side effects, IF it is performed by a properly-trained therapist. A side effect of massage therapy may include temporary discomfort or slight pain, but the positive results overshadow any risk involved.
Before integrating massage treatment into your regular health regimen, please keep the following in mind:
* You need to do your homework and review your therapist’s experience, credentials and training. Don’t be afraid to ask questions to determine if a particular therapist has the proper skill set for your needs.
* Massage therapy is not meant to replace your existing medical care for a particular problem, but to enhance it. Always consult with your physician if you have any concerns.
* If you do have an existing medical condition and aren’t certain that massage therapy is right for you, discuss it with your doctor and get his/her opinion before beginning a long-range massage therapy plan.
Many don’t realize that massage therapy is also used in the treatment of the following common health concerns:
* Carpal tunnel syndrome;
* Asthma and allergies;
* Sports injuries;
* Depression and Anxiety.
The increase in the popularity of massage treatment has some national companies offering a membership plan to make it a more-affordable option for an ongoing healthcare program. So whether you’re simply looking for reliable relief from everyday stress, or seeking assistance with a physical ailment, massage treatment provides something for virtually everyone.